Monday, March 3, 2014

Lebanon war photo essay

IN 2006 I went to Lebanon during the 34 day summer war when Israel bombed the country's infrastructure in an attempt to wipe out Hezbollah. Politically, it's a long story - no space here. However, it was a dirty conflict that put Lebanon back decades and caused major recriminations inside Israel.

Most of these pictures, which I only rediscovered recently whilst writing a book, were never published. When I got home nobody seemed interested.

Looking back now, I realise that my pics reveal who exactly war hurts the most. What I have is pieces of peoples lives, their neighbourhoods abandoned, drinks still in a fridge, appartments sliced open, refugees in Beirut's public parks and total destruction.
 
Photos © Shafiq Morton





















1 comment: